Cold cases are unsolved criminal investigations that remain open for extended periods of time, often years or decades. Here are some interesting facts about cold cases:
- Cold cases can be solved: Even though cold cases may have gone unsolved for many years, advances in forensic science and technology have led to breakthroughs in many cases. In some cases, new evidence or witness testimony can emerge, leading investigators to a suspect. In other cases, DNA evidence collected from the crime scene can be re-analyzed using modern techniques, leading to a match with a suspect or a previously unknown suspect.
- Cold cases can be reopened: In many cases, cold cases are reopened when new information comes to light. This could include a tip from a witness, new forensic evidence, or the discovery of previously unknown physical evidence.
- Cold cases can benefit from public attention: Many cold cases have been solved with the help of the public. This could involve a witness coming forward with information, or someone recognizing a suspect from a media report or social media post. Law enforcement agencies often use the media and social media to raise awareness of cold cases and solicit tips from the public.
- Some cold cases become famous: Some cold cases, such as the Zodiac Killer case or the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, have become famous and captured the public’s imagination. These cases often generate media attention and renewed interest from the public.
- Cold cases can have an emotional impact: For the families and loved ones of victims, the long wait for justice in a cold case can be incredibly difficult. When a cold case is solved, it can provide closure and bring a sense of justice to those who have been impacted by the crime.
Qtis can be used to securely store, search, and share critical intelligence to solve cases. Zinatt Technologies’ patented technology is designed with investigator needs in mind every step of the way. Qtis is CJIS, HIPAA compliant and is also SOC 2 Type II certified.